A Ripple Conversation with Robert Majd of Captain Black Beard

Gotta be honest, I'd never head of Captain Black Beard before they wrote me.  But I may have been the only one.  The good captain's new album "Before Plastic"  features high-energy melodic kick-ass rock with guest appearances by Bruce Kulick (ex-KISS) among others.. Their newest album will be released on May 23rd on Dead End Exit Records. The band was featured heavily in the latest issue of Sweden Rock Magazine:

"Ill-mannered and charming hitseeking rock like it was made by KISS, Billy Idol and Pat Benatar - together and in their prime."-- SWEDEN ROCK MAGAZINE (rating 8/10)  Even the famous Geoff Barton (Classic Rock Magazine) chimed in on the band, naming their first album one of the best of 2012!


So let's check in with Robert Jajd of the band and see what makes them tick.


When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

What have been your musical epiphany moments?


 I saw a KISS cover band doing "I Love It Loud" on Swedish TV in 1995 and was blown away. After that I was a full on KISS-fan. Later when I went  to my first concert ever to see KISS in 96 I was even more hooked!

 Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

Usually it's the riff. At least for me. Then I try to make a song out of it. Me and Zakk usually puts the songs together and it differs how we do it. Sometimes he has a lyric that we try to write music to. Anyway that get's the work done is good I guess.

 Who has influenced you the most?

 KISS

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 I like so many different bands and there are so much good music out there! It really isn't that hard to get inspired if you just look for it. Some bands that I enjoy are The Beatles, 220 Volt, The Yardbirds, Aerosmith, Rainbow and of course... KISS.

 We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 We're from Stockholm and I'm not really sure how that might shine through in our music.  We have yet to write a song about meat balls but that would be a give away, wouldn't it?

 Where'd the band name come from?  

 I don't really know. Zack and our previous guitar player came up with it I think.

 You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

Rambo

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why? 

 Captain Black Beard's "Bad Girl" because it's a great song with a great video!

 What is you musical intention? What are you trying to express or get your audience to feel?

 Fun. We want to have more fun than any other band and we want our audience to be part of it too.

 Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 We've filled the stage with too much smoke so that we weren't even visible to the audience, our limo got lost driving to a gig in Brooklyn, we had a power failure on stage that sounded like an explosion in the PA and scared the shit out of us...

  Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?  


 I love playing live. Getting the energy out there and also feeding off the energy from the audience. Our show is like a great party!

 What makes a great song?

 A memorable melody or riff and a lyric that makes sense.

 Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

I'd just joined my first band in 2002. So I tried writing a song. I called it "Little Death" and thought it was actually pretty good.

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 I like "Aiming For Love". I was on sick leave recovering from surgery and feeling pretty beat up. When I managed to write the song I felt a little better.


Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 I think Nicke Andersson in Imperial State Electric who used to be in The Hellacopters, he just always  comes up with great material! Mats Karlsson who play on our new album writes great stuff with his two bands 220 Volt and The Summit.

 Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 Vinyl.

 Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

 Beer and lots of it! Beer need not to be defended. It just tastes better.

 We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 If you're in Stockholm go to St. Eriksplan and there's plenty of cool record stores.

 What's next for the band?  

 We're gearing up for our release party on May 28th and then we're planning another visit to the UK.

 Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 Keep on rockin' and buy our new album "Before Plastic", out on May 23rd via Dead End Exit Records. It's a great melodic kick-ass rock album that features guest appearances by Bruce Kulick (ex-KISS) among others.

Don't forget to rock our video for "Somebody" too:



Comments