Rendetta – My Sanity



Rendetta is a band based in Seattle, so near to me.  This is their first recorded effort, a 4 track EP called “My Sanity”.  You would think that with only 4 songs that there isn't much here, but there is actually a lot to take in.  These guys cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time.

They are pretty much a rock band, but they veer off into some very heavy territory on both “Overshadow” and “Colors”.  In fact, there are moments in “Overshadow” that are downright metal, and in my opinion, this is where Rendetta really shines, and where they belong.  It is where the band sounds the tightest and where they sound like it is the style they should be doing.  But I'm a metal guy, so I'm probably going to think that, right?

“Until The Moment” is a bare bones track, just guitar and vocals.  They handle this well, and it shows the range of things they are capable of.  “Words Will Bleed” is a pretty straight ahead rocker and we hear another side of what these guys can do.  All of these are very solid tracks and they definitely sound like the band knew what they wanted when they set out to record.

A couple of minor quibbles.  As I mentioned, they cover a lot of ground, maybe too much in my opinion.  There is nothing wrong with a band that can stretch out a bit, but you also need to know where to find, for lack of a better way to say it, home base.  And there is a bit too much playing with dynamics for my taste.  A lot of these songs play off the “heavy/soft” dynamic, but you gotta be careful how you use that so that it doesn't come across as gimmicky.

All in all, this is a very good release for a band that is really just starting their journey as a full band, and it is a solid first recording.  There is definitely a lot of talent here and I will surely be paying attention to future releases from this band to see where they wind up going.  These guys are worth following.  - ODIN




Comments